Thursday 10 March 2016

Shoot 1 - Work Diary

This shoot was just an initial exploratory shoot on my chosen topic of 'dramatic images' based almost entirely off of what the exam paper says about it, using natural light.  I wanted to keep it quite simply as it was only an initial shoot I felt like trying to dive straight into some of my more complex ideas would have defeated the point of an exploratory shoot.  So for this I was using only natural light to take my photos in Epping forest without any kind of peripheral extras just my camera and two of my lens an 18-55 mm telephoto lens with image stabilisation and a 50mm Prime Mk II.  Below are some of the two unedited photos that I think are best, with the editing I only applied some basic technical retouching altering things like the exposure, contrast and saturation.

For this photo I my camera was set to 1/200 sec shutter speed, f/5.6 and ISO 200 at a focal length of 32mm.  I really like the dark mysterious quality of this photo and I think the contrast between the main part of the photo and the bright sky in the distance makes it seem like the person is wondering 'what could be out there?'

This particular photo is shot with 1/125 sec shutter speed, f/5.6 and ISO 800 at a focal length of 39mm.  I like this photo as it raises the questions of 'what is happening?' and 'where does the road go?'.  I think that the composition is really good within this photo with the subject within the first third of the photo with her face hidden.  I feel that this helps to draw the eye naturally across the subject, up the path and back to rest on the subject.


To progress from here I may try using different locations like more urban areas like around town or or larger urban areas such as London.  I might also experiment with different lighting techniques to create dramatic and/or high contrast photographs.  Some things that I have thought of trying are low key lighting to create high contrast images and using geometric patterns cut into paper/card to either create shadows on a subject or to take photos through.

1 comment:

  1. Use the format of work record: Relabel your work diaries as work records.

    Work Records - Shoot No 1…. Shoot No 2…. Shoot No 3…. Shoot No 4…. Shoot No 5…. Shoot No 6…. Shoot No 7…. Shoot No 8…. Shoot No 9…. Shoot No 10….

    There are notes within the Qube

    Work Record your Plans for the shoot, What you hope to achieve. NB (those first two sections should be written before the shoot in order to help you clarify your ideas and to ensure you have all that you need). This is followed up by What I actually achieved (with two evaluated pictures - equivalent to the evaluation section of a work diary) In this section you must record how you took the photograph in terms of camera settings and the visual outcome (did you achieve the type of photographs you wanted, what are the denotations and possible connotations associated with the images) What I am doing to do next (this might mean something that occurred whilst doing that shoot that you want to develop or maybe even a change in direction, etc).

    ReplyDelete